What To Do If You've Been Sexually Assaulted

Call for Help - You don't have to do it alone!
There are several agencies available to assist you. Rape is a medical emergency. Rape is a crime. Remember that what has happened is not your fault. You did not cause this assault.

For assistance and information, you can call:

1. Rape Crisis Line at 335-6000, 24 hours a day (800-284-7821)
2. Emergency Treatment Centers at either:  
  a. University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics 356-2233
  b. Mercy Hospital Iowa City 339-3600
3. Local Law Enforcement Officers / Police Departments
  a. University of Iowa Police 335-5022
  b. Iowa City Police 356-5275
  c. Coralville Police 248-1800
  d. Johnson County Sheriff 356-6020
  e. North Liberty Police 356-6020


Additional contact numbers are listed on this website at "Contact JCSART."


Seek Medical Attention As Soon As Possible

Contact RVAP (Rape Victim Advocacy Program). They will provide an advocate to assist you throughout the entire experience of medical exam, reporting the sexual assault, counseling, contacting the legal system, etc.

Contact Law Enforcement as soon as possible to make a report and find out options available to you. Even though reporting is not mandatory, law enforcement can assist in protection and security, collection and preservation of evidence, and documentation of the assault for possible future criminal charges.

You play an active role in the decision-making process on how to move forward after a sexual assault. We want to address your questions and concerns. We want to assist you in recovering from this experience. You can contact any of the JCSART members listed in this website. For additional in-depth information go to the RVAP website: http://www.rvap.org.